Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Hard to Understand

It is really hard to lose so many baby bunnies. About a week ago Anna lost 5 from her Dutch litter and now has only 3 left. In the past two days I have lost three from the last French Angora litter. With the Dutch the mom stomped on three of them and then two just died. The three I lost all looked good except for Chizzi. He was scrawny and not gaining weight. But the last two were hopping around a few hours before I found them dead.

I start to question my abilities as a breeder. I know I clean the cages and the next boxes regularly. With the adults I watch their poop and feed them a good variety. From the lists I read feeding is a very personal thing and people have very strong opinions. I think there is really a broad spectrum of what is good to feed and that people should do what they have found works for them. We have a lot of fresh alfalfa and clover growing and the rabbits all seem pleased to get some.

I am sure that it is for the best that these babies pass on. Perhaps, they do not have a strong immune system, perhaps, they have traits not best passed on. I just want to make sure I am not doing something that inadvertantly contributes.

In other news, the heat has started up here. Have found that turning the fans and swamp cooler on early in the morning and then at noon wetting materials and putting it over the cages really keeps the heat at bay. I also clipped and or plucked the angoras tonight. I also read about freezing ceramic tiles to put in the cages. Will get some and try it out.

The ducks are growing up. Two of them have been laying since February. My son and husband are selling them to a local health food store under the name "Eggs Are Us". It is buying the duck food. The ducks are very funny actually. They swarm around me when I go out to take care of bunnies if David has not fed them enough. And they lie in wait until someone doesn't latch the gate properly then they head out onto the road. They are relatively easy to herd back into their yard though.

No comments: