Tuesday, May 13, 2008

An Enjoyable Evening

Last night I held a meeting for those interested in starting a rabbit club. I anticipated that no one would be interested and was feeling a little down before the meeting. Therefore, I was so happy when 6 people came to the meeting. And are interested in continuing.

Some of the people are non verbal but had communicated their interest to the person who was taking care of them that night. We had brought some very friendly, personable rabbits with us and to see the delight of these gentlemen touched my heart. A woman and her grandson also attended. They have a house rabbit and wanted more information on how to take care of him. They asked great questions and had information on how they take care of their pet to add. We have set another meeting for a month from now and will go over grooming and what are good plants and foods for rabbits. After the meeting, my son, daughter and husband all commented on how good they felt after the meeting and expressed happy anticipation at the next meeting.

I am happy to say that my Chizzi rabbit is no longer Chizzi. Just skinny. And such a beautiful color. I am looking forward to seeing their wool grow out. Three are sort of honey/golden colored, two are black and one is white. They will be a week old tomorrow.

My older babies are now 7 weeks old. One weighs 2.5 pounds and the other is 2.1 pounds. They are so cute and friendly.

I am working on the outside pen for the rabbits. I have no more room in my barn. We have a dog pen I used to use for the rabbits and ducks before I got the barn and fenced in part of the yard. I am putting up a bamboo shelter thing since I couldn't find the slat things for chain link fences. I believe I will move the boys out there. It is a nice shady area that gets a good breeze. Will put up a sunscreen over top of the pen. The goal is to have another barn by next fall.

Am planning on going to a rabbit show in Tucson AZ over Memorial Day weekend. I will be getting 3 velveteen lops to add to my herd. I am not really ready to show french angoras and would like another breed. Anna has dutch and polish and I am drawn to the velveteen lops. Have been since I first saw them. I am so excited.

Well, I guess I need to do some cleaning up in the house. Would rather just work outside but can't always do what you want.

No comments: