Sunday, March 16, 2008

Finally

It has been too long since I last wrote anything. Unfortunately, I was hit by a killer virus and wound up off from work, in bed and taking antibiotics. Yesterday was the first I felt semi-human. I went out and cleaned out the rabbitry, my family is good about feeding and watering, and reconnected with the bunnies. It is so calming there. I sit and listen to them eating and it is peaceful and quiet.

We are expecting three litters this next week. The last deliviries did not go so well. None of the does pulled hair or made a nest, despite the lovely nest boxes that were provided, and so delivered on the wire. We did not get to them in time. I did have a heater on in the barn but I guess I need to get a bigger one. It keeps the water bottles from freezing. So, this time my daughter (who is on Spring Break) and I have devised a plan to keep very close watch on the does. If they do not make a nest this time I will not breed them again. However, I do hope to at least save the kits.

I am making slow headway on my website. My main helper decided to run off to Canada to grow medical marijuana. Sigh. I do not know why some kids need to follow difficult paths in life and why mothers cannot just stop them from making foolish choices. He is 20 years old though and determined to make as many mistakes as he can. It doesn't stop my heart from loving him and hoping that he makes it through these times.

The other kids are doing ok this week. Have been working hard at school and at home. We hauled gravel to our parking space. We live on a dirt road and there is wicked mud. This pile of gravel should last a few months at least. And we are starting a compost pile so they helped create that.

Have been reading about rabbit vaccinations on some of the lists I read. I would consider some vaccinations if I could get them inexpensively and administer them myself. The only way vaccinations work, though, is if everybody does it. I think that if you keep the animal healthy and it's immune system up that vaccinations are unneccesary. I am deeply concerned about all the vaccines kids need now. I am glad my children are older. Personally, I feel that the only reason they are mandating the chicken pox vaccine is to keep parents from taking time off of work to care for their sick children. But, I digress. I read that in New Hampshire rabbits need to be vaccinated against rabies. How do rabbits get exposed to rabies? I imagine that if they were attacked by a rabid animal they would wind up dead. I sometimes think that officials do not really think things through.

Well, off to other pursuits. Now that the animals are taken care of I suppose I should clean the bathroom and dust and vacuum. Sigh, I need a bigger barn so I can put off the housework longer.

No comments: