Friday, March 28, 2008

Judging

I am not talking about the show judging of our rabbits but rather the judging we do to other people. There is a discussion on one of the yahoo rabbit lists I read about animal auctions. I have also read and heard comments about how someone raises their rabbits, children, dogs, etc. I was sitting in the barn earlier, enjoying the bunny energy and thinking about what I would do if my family was hungry and needed food. I had asked my husband if he would be able to butcher our rabbits. I was thinking of perhaps raising some meat rabbits and selling it locally. Perhaps, this would be a way of paying for some of the feed and hay. He told me that he didn't want to kill a rabbit he knew. Hunting wild rabbits was a different thing. I thought about why I didn't think I could butcher myself and found my old excuses of being a "city" girl, of butchering being men's work and realized that I had been raised being removed from the whole meat process. Steaks and chickens were not really alive. I just got them from the supermarket all cut up and appealing looking.

I also thought about our ducks. I love our ducks.
Here is Aflack:

.

And Chips:



And the two new ones:



They are a source of endless amusement to me. (I know...it doesn't take much to amuse me anymore ;)). They are laying eggs. At least two a day. I have used them in baking and had a lovely omlet and have eaten them hard boiled. One of my daughters says that she has a mental block about eating duck eggs and I realized that I do have a bit of hesitation on eating the eggs. Eating chicken eggs from the supermarket doesn't bother me in the least. Now, is it because I see the source? Would I have a problem if I had chickens? I am not sure.

There are people who are vegetarians (one of my daughters was one for a year). And different people have different reasons for refraining from eating meat, chickens, eggs, milk etc. If we judge them or label them in a negative way what are we hoping to accomplish? If we judge how someone takes care of their animals (am not talking about neglect that leads to the death or suffering of the animals) what are we really saying? That our way is the best or only way? I can't do that. Well, I try not to do that. If someone raises rabbits for meat or pet food or show or pleasure why do we take issue with that? Rabbit rescue and PETA seem to be especially judgemental of others. And if they feel strongly about it that is their privledge. When they come to my rabbitry and feel I am wrong for keeping my rabbits in cages and not in the house and judge me they cycle continues.

Then I asked myself why I am raising rabbits and I found there are several layers. I love fiber. I love to feel it in my hands. I want to get better at spinning. I begin to see so many ways I can promote fiber. I live near the Navajo Reservation. I see many women struggling to take care of their families...what if we could get a co-op and start selling hand spun, hand dyed yarn? Maybe we could all make a little money and keep alive tradional practices.

I love the challenge of breeding a great line of rabbits. I like genetics and seeing what happens.

I love the energy of rabbits and I like taking care of them. I can't explain it any better.

I am not going to judge why someone raises rabbits. There are probably as many reasons as there are people. I look forward to talking with rabbit breeders to find out what works for them that might work for me. And to enjoy their passion along with my own

No comments: