Friday, March 21, 2008

The Great Escape

Thor waited patiently for his chance. He made the break one dark night. He pushed his nose against the bars and voila the door sprung open. He peered out and paused. Then he jumped into the darkness and found himself free on the straw covered floor. Free at last.

Well, that is how I imagined it may have happened. We came out to the barn and found Thor on the floor. He was very happy and not so much when we put him back in. I was changing out cages anyway...I have found that taking the cages to the car wash and blasting them with the high power spray is a wonderful way to keep them clean...but I digress. We had a larger cage that we had recently cleaned and decided to put him in that one. He seemed to like it. Since he had straw caught on his lovely wool I decided to groom him. We were doing well until he decided he needed to be free again. He escaped my grasp and jumped onto the floor. (I groom them on a chair so it was not a long jump). He was happy. We eventually caught him and put him back in his cage. He was no longer happy. In fact, he wouldn't even look at me. He flopped down in annoyance, getting up to drink and eat occasionally. This lasted all day. Poor Thor.

Yesterday he let me pet him so I guess he has forgiven me for the incarcaration. He seems to like his roomier cage and as soon as I can I will get one this size for Obsidian. The other rabbits are smaller so their cages are adequate.

I was reading on some lists about bunny communication. I really believe that all animals communicate with us. Too often, I think, people just don't take the time to communicate with animals (Dr. Dolittle aside). I find the rabbit world of people to be exceptions to that.

Still waiting for babies...it is 4 weeks and 2 days today and this is when they started delivering the last litters. We are checking them every half hour. They have next boxes and lots of straw. Princess Leia was carrying around straw and putting it in the next box to make a nest. But no hair pulling yet. I have turned up the heater at night and so now we just wait. As a labor and delivery nurse I know that babies are born on their own agenda. It is wonderful waiting though.

No comments: